Friday, February 21, 2014

The Proposal!





 Scene1:  Spring 1988,Exterior.

I walked out in a semi-clad white nightdress, as the morning sun peeked in;  walked to my balcony, overlooking the Mediterranean where I was welcomed by breakfast. I gasped in joy, a tiny breathe held, at the sight of the feast that lay before me, and that of him. He was sitting on one of the wicker chairs in his linen shorts, eyebrow arching at my semi-nude appearance, on his open sunshade. Picking a croissant, I walked over and sat on his lap, as he wiped my hair from my face. There we sat, painting our picture of love. It was perfect. It was simple. It was us. He brought out the ring, a family heirloom  and said he loved me, for the second time loud, and asked me if I thought it was time. I smiled, and let go of my fourth finger. He was speaking, but I heard nothing as the antique slipped past my knuckles, falling right into place, leaving room for nothing but my first teary kiss.

Scene 2: Summer 1997,Location-The Concert.

He sings.  Not just the plain karaoke sing, but the Sting kinda sing. He's not much of a performer though, hence it is only during our personal conversations that last into the night that the music in him has surfaced. The first time I heard it, it was nothing short of dreamy, and hence I shall remember the way I looked that night(oh man!) as the years go by . Later, I kept nudging him to croon a little but he was so stubborn not to, that I finally let go, calling him a spoil sport. 
Well this is the setting. The proposal was a stunner. We had gone for a concert by an Indian troupe with good taste and before I knew it he was on stage, spotlight on, singing Bruno Mars' marry you. And a beautiful night it was! I meant to yelp in joy, while my Christian Grey inspired inner Goddess ran on stage held another mike and sang back in return performing the best duet and making out for the world to see, but even my imagination wouldn't take me that astray. I stood in the middle of the quadrangle, the red carpet leading right up to me, with candles and white roses on either side. He was still singing as he walked up to me bend on one knee and asked me to marry him.  I said YES with the widest, gummiest smile I could muster. I was miffed.


 
I love proposals!I believe in the proverbial ‘Happily ever afters’, the  knighst in their shining armor, and the knee benders. Yes, I love them all. 

To let you in on an obvious secret, in my minds theater, you must know,  I’ve scripted, enacted, directed some of the most beautiful proposals that could have been  (Goosebumps!!!) .
 
From fairytales to Rom-Coms, I shamelessly know it all like the back of my hand, the juicy details to the finest ins and outs! ! Excerpts(?) The the blue jewel encrusted satin Manolo Blahnik heel which ‘Big’ used in Sex and the City to seal the deal with ‘Carrie’ ,OR  the epic proposal by Mr.McDreamy, in the notoriously famed elevator ,’I’m not gonna get down on my knee, I’m not gonna ask a question, I love you Meredith Grey and I want  to spend my rest of my life with you!’(dreamy i was!) 

 
..OR when Luke(Ed Harris) slid the perfect ring, into Isabels(Julia Roberts) dainty fingers  in the movie  Step Mom using a precariously tied knot, wowing  not just with words, but with a highly adept manoeuvre OR when Adam Sandler strummed beautiful chords to sing his way into Drew Barrymore’s  heart with 
‘I want to Grow old with you’  in the movie  The Wedding Singer.There exists so many of these timeless, magnificent  moments  in cinema and I've caught girlfriends and ahem(yours truly) watching these mementos of celluloid, over and over again, reliving every instant, taking in every word, and moping away at you had me at hello.  

 It’s is perhaps in the strangest of circumstances that we find the emotion by the name of love, romantics like me clinging on to amayy-zing moments like that make our stories for tomorrow. Needless to be said though, this month of love is not only dedicated to the fantasies we have lived through, but also to the little joys that don't hit the table topics while getting you from one day to another. To which any guy may ask, then why celebrate? Well for reassurance, the extra smile, and our next big story for tomorrow.  The small thoughts count, but that isn’t cue to dismiss the big ones now, is it? 
Happy month of love!Have  a good one.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment