Thursday, February 13, 2014

Single Love!!





 


I am a weeper. A romantic excuse of a person, waiting for the first chance to be whisked away into a land of love for the corny. Yet, corny doesn’t quite sum it up. I am a believer of the most-Shakespearean avatar of love. I have met people who have loved and lost and loved again, cheated and even eloped in love; without failing to notice that there is one single thread that lies through all their stories;  all their love has given them a reason to live, and to keep living, whether in sickness or in health, trauma or in harmony. The manifestation of this kind of love is all over the place. Right from Tristan and Isolde, to Romeo and Juliet, to my neighbor next door, stories of adventure, loss and people going the extra mile have constantly overwhelmed me, whether in fact, or in fiction. Experience has made me a believer, and I have grown to understand the lengths and depths that people dare to wander to satisfy this justification for a purpose. 

Okay, so today is one of those cry till I dry days. I admit it. The philosophy has been stated. The thought process triggered. Which brings me to think, How far would you go in the name of platonic love? The kind which may have the label of a friend, a teacher, or a relative, the kind that you love but still don’t answer calls from, the kind that you take for granted. Where you would’ve sacrificed your life for your ‘lover’, you’d think before giving t up for this old buddy wouldn’t you. Well, welcome to my world, for today, as of now, it’s the only kind of love I know. Would I go the extra mile? Should I?

Well I’m not gonna answer. But I can muster a comment, a rather elaborate one now that I come to think of it. Last weekend, my friend from school had come down for his yearly visit to his hometown, from the other part of the globe. He called me over as he was short on time to come visit. Tickets were on a low, but I was free so I thought what the hell and packed my backpack away. 

What met me on the other side of my twelve hour journey was 2 hour chit-chat at a regular coffee shop. Predictably, nothing had changed since the last time we met. It reminded me of how wrong it is to put a worth-it tag on any place or friend visited, new or old. Meetings like these help you stay rooted, grounded, reminding you of how now is good and how some things never change. We spoke a lot, of  crap at his end and mine, of break-ups and make-ups, of legal stuff and of the not-so-legal stuff. By the end of two hours we had resorted to name calling and gossiping. We fought in between, giggled like teenagers, and even laughed our eyes dry as I ran into a stranger’s car under the assumption that it was his. The evening was the best that I had had in a long time. And as for the coffee we drank. Disgusting.

To contemplate on platonic love any further? Why bother?
 Let me have this moment.
 Peace.




Image credit:http://fourwallsonly.com/photography-love-music/photography-love-music/

No comments:

Post a Comment